Curried Rice Salad
This salad has been in my family for years. I’ve tweaked it and updated it, but to keep it simple, I’ll give you something close to the original that you can play with yourself. I recently made this at a function I catered, and I added pulled roasted chicken and used Burgol in place of the Rice-a-Roni. It was a hit!
- 1 pkg Rice-a-Roni Chicken and Vermicelli
- 2 jars artichoke hearts (marinated in oil – drain, chop and reserve oil)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup craisins
- 1 can water (sliced) chestnuts, chopped
- 4 chopped green onions
- 1 cup toasted almonds
- 1 can sliced black olives, drained
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp curry powder (more or less to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
Cook rice according to package directions.
In a large bowl, combine celery, raisins, water chestnuts, onion, parsley and olives.
Mix reserved oil and mayo with curry powder. (I use one of the jars from the artichokes and just shake the dressing)
Once rice is cooked, let cool for about 10 minutes. Mix rice with celery, etc. Pour dressing over top and mix in.
That’s it!! Easy schmeasy!! Enjoy!
To make with Burgol, replace rice a roni with 2 cups Burgol and 4 cups of chicken stock.