Patty Pan Salad
I wouldn’t really call it a salad, but this side easily falls into the “raw food” category. The last few weeks, my plan B box has been cheerily full of sunny yellow patty pan squash (also called scallop squash). I’ve always liked them gently sauteed or mixed into soups, but this time I wanted to eat them as is. One of the wonderful things for me about eating raw food is that if you are used to eating these foods cooked….the texture is such a nice surprise! Even better – the nutrients and goodness are all left intact. Awesome! Try this out, you are sure to love it! My kids (6 and 8 years old) gobbled it up!
Patty Pan Squash “Salad”:
- 3 fist sized patty pan squash, cut into small matchsticks
- 4 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- juice 1/4 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tbsp maple sugar (maple syrup can be used – use 1/2 tbsp)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- small handful fresh basil, rough chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted cashews, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Combine all ingredients and serve immediately. Add fresh pea shoots or spinach to bulk up if you wish. Enjoy! Tastes just like summer….