Ali-O Bean Salad
As requested from one of our subscribers… here is an updated version of an old pot luck favorite. Tonight I made a tortilla pie (post to follow tomorrow) for dinner and wanted something to serve on the side. I had just recieved fresh cilantro and spring onions in my Plan B Box – instant inspiration! Get out the cumin and lime! We’re off to Mexico!!
Ali-O Bean Salad:
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tomato, cut up into bite sized chunks
- 1/2 can sliced black olives
- 1 cup edamame (cooked, drained and cooled)
- 1/2 medium sized cucumber, sliced and quartered
- 1 red pepper, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 avocado, chopped into bite sized pieces
- handful chopped fresh cilantro
- handful fresh pea shoots
- 4 handfuls fresh spinach (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
Combine dressing ingredients in container with lid – I like to use jam jars. Shake well to combine.
In bowl, combine all other ingredients except pea shoots and baby spinach if using). Pour dressing over salad mixture, gently combine. Let sit for 20 minutes to an hour before serving. Can be stored in airtight container for up to 4 days.
To serve – place on bed of spinach and top with fresh pea shoots.
NOTES – Add fresh shucked corn for a sweet crunch. Pea shoots can be found in a living pot (I keep mine on my counter) at Goodness Me!