This week was my first fall share with Plan B for 2010. As I’ve mentioned before, I love the fall shares! Wednesdays have become our favorite day of the week… waiting for the truck to arrive, dragging in the box and finally, opening up our box of goodies and eyeing for the first time what we will have to create with! The not knowing what will be waiting inside is half the fun! Every Wednesday, I have no plans for dinner. I patiently wait and get my inspriation from the goodies found inside our home delivered box of fresh organic produce.
I needed something quick and easy for dinner before going out to a friends house for the evening. Opening the fridge I saw I still had some veggies begging to leave this world before they shrivelled up. I think they’d be happy going out this way ;o)
- 2 leeks, white parts only
- 2 carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups chopped potatoes
- 1 cup chopped butternut squash (or whatever squash you have on hand)
- 1 zucchini
- 2 cups napa cabbage or chinese lettuce
- handful fresh “living broccoli” (from this weeks delivery – didn’t you just love em?!) – Can substitute fresh parsley
- juice of half lemon
- shot of sherry (optional)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups broth of choice (chicken, vegetable)
- 1/2 cooked chicken breast (optional)
- pinch of powdered sage
- sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
To prepare leeks, chop off green end and root end. Cut in half diagonally. Rinse well under running water to remove any dirt. Slice halves into 1/2 inch pieces.
Heat large soup pot on med/high. Add olive oil, followed by leeks, carrots, celery, squash, sage and garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Cook stirring frequently for about 10 minutes. Do not brown – you want to sweat the veggies. Add the broth, potatoes, lemon juice and sherry. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through. Taste as you go and add more salt if needed (it’ll depend on the broth you used).
Add fresh broccoli sprouts and a sprinkling of salt and pepper to serve. Goodness in a bowl.