Grilled Lemony Ginger Shrimp
This is one of those quintessential summer recipes. Can be served casually as a main over salad or as an awesome starter!
GRILLED LEMONY GINGER SHRIMP
• 3 lb (1.5 kg) raw jumbo shrimp, skin removed, tails on
• 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 2 tsp sesame oil
• Juice and grated zest of lemon (should have at least ¼ cup of juice)
• 2 green onions, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves crushed or finely chopped
• 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
• 4 tbsp fresh corriander (cilantro) leaves
Shell shrimp, leaving tails intact, and remove vein.
Mix all ingredients (except shrimp) in a bowl. Swish around with your fingers to blend. Pour out ¼ of the marinade to use for basting. Now add shrimp to marinade (use either zip lock bag or cover your mixing bowl). Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Thread the skewer through the shrimp from tail to head, so the shrimp are poked (technical word) twice (about 4 on each). Grill shrimp for about 5 minutes, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade. Just before serving, brush shrimp with any remaining marinade and sprinkle with more cilantro and cracked black pepper.
Serve with salad of your choice.
• if using bamboo skewers, soak them for about an hour before – this helps prevent them burning.
• I use the smallest side of a cheese grater to grate my ginger. Wash it, but no bother peeling it.
• if you want to get really fancy-schmancy, use rosemary sprigs as your skewers ;o)