Vegetable Egg Rolls
Who doesn’t like egg rolls? There is something so intoxicating about the crunchy bubbly outer shell that leads to the savory steamy filling. I have to be completely honest here and tell you these are easy. Super easy. Anybody can do it easy. Promise. These took me about 20 minutes start to finish. I made them on the busiest night of the week… you know the one… two sports in one night right from school kind of night… we all have those. And what a treat these are on such a rushed night! I served them with brown rice and snow peas. Perfect! And if you absolutely need to…. these are great to go!
makes 8-10 rolls
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1/2 head napa cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- handful fresh chopped cilantro
- handful fresh sprouts
- 4 crimini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tsp dark sesame oil
- 1 tbsp shoyu
- 1 package egg roll wrapers
To heated med/high to high skillet add peanut oil, sesame oil, garlic and ginger. Stir fry quickly for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add all other vegetables. Saute for 2 minutes, add shoyu and cook until liquid is absorbed. Remove from pan and set aside.
To make rolls:
- Lay wrapper on clean counter in a diamond shape with the point facing you.
- Place a heaping table spoon of mixture into centre of wrapper
- Take bottom corner and fold over mixture, tucking corner under the filling and gently pulling it toward you to grab the mixture
- Fold in the right and left sides, making an “envelope” shape
- Roll the form away from you, “sealing” your envelope by putting a little water with your finger on the final corner. Roll up and press the corner down gently to seal.
Once your oil is hot, gently place eggrolls into pan seam side down. Ensure they are not touching, don’t over crowd them or they will steam and not get nice and crunchy. Fry the eggrolls for 30 seconds to 1 minute per side, turning a quarter turn each time to ensure all sides brown evenly. Once all sides are done (they should be golden and bubbly), place on paper towel to drain.